Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Starting New Projects

I generally have at least a dozen projects in a variety of crafts in progress at any given time. Sometimes I work on a single project for an extended period, but, more often, I work on multiple projects each day.

Starting 6 new projects the same day is a bit unusual, but I couldn't decide which knitting project to start first. So, I started a dishcloth, 2 scarves, 2 pairs of socks, and a mug cozy. I did finish several sewing projects before starting new knitting projects. However, I already had several knitting projects, a crochet afghan, and multiple embroidery projects in the works.

Having multiple projects going at the same time seems to be a common affliction among crafters. Perhaps it's because our creative minds have so many ideas floating around inside that we find it difficult to focus on a single one for too long. Or maybe that's just me?

One advantage to having multiple projects going is that I sometimes finish several at once which is intensely satisfying.

Mixing small projects that are quick to complete with projects that are huge or that take forever like a large cross-stitch project or a quilt or afghan helps to balance the satisfaction of completion with projects that I get bored with.

Working on projects in a variety of crafts helps me to continue to make things when I have to limit how long I can work on a single project, too. Cross-stitching over 2 threads is something I can only do for short periods before my eyes get tired. Crochet, needlepoint, or plastic canvas also have to be limited because of hand pain. Knitting, however, is the one thing I can do for a long stretch of time and that actually seems to ease hand pain.

I also do painting and sketching. Painting and working in an art journal have really helped with my color sense. Sketching has helped me see things differently and to look for details that I might normally miss.

Recently, I've also noticed more projects incorporating embroidery on knitting. Occasionally knitting projects may use a crocheted edging. Quilt patterns are sometimes used in knitted, crocheted, cross-stitched or plastic canvas projects. Cross-stitch patterns are sometimes translated into filet crochet patterns or even into intarsia knitting projects.

So, while some crafters may do only one craft, many of them have multiple pursuits. Working in multiple crafts creates more ideas, helps you see projects in different ways, and helps with inspiration by offering variety.

Learning a specific craft is similar to learning a language or learning a musical instrument. Each language you learn makes adding a new one less difficult. Learning one musical instrument makes picking up a new one easier. And, for each needlecraft skill you add to your arsenal, it becomes easier to learn others.

Even if you only do one craft, you might enjoy reading about others. I've tried a large number of crafts and still do quite a few, but the list of crafts I want to try is even longer. So, what about you? How many different crafts do you enjoy and what would you like to learn to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, all comments are moderated and may take a day or two to appear. I try to reply to comments as soon as possible. Thanks for commenting and I hope you enjoy the blog!