Saturday, August 1, 2015

Crochet Correction

 I'm making the Granny Stripe Afghan from Attic 24. I originally started it as a stash buster and quickly realized I actually didn't have enough stash yarn to make it. That's why there are some single stripes in the beginning. Also, I realized later that the red was wool not acrylic like the others. And the more rows I added, the tighter the foundation red wool seemed to become. Unfortunately, I had done way too many stripes to want to rip it out and start over. And, while you aren't supposed to be able to rip the foundation out of crochet, I decided it was worth the risk.
 First, I cut off the foundation chain and the top half of the Granny Stripe.
 Then, working on 6-10 stitches at a time, I cut between the stitches.
 Next, I slip stitched a ball of blue yarn to match the second granny stripe row to the edge. Then, for each stitch, I slipped the crochet hook through the loops at the bottom/top, pulled out the loose red threads, and pulled the blue yarn through the loops to hold them together. After that, I chained three before moving on to the next stitch.
As you can see here, it actually worked fairly well. Since I plan to make multiple border rows, I'll be able to cover over these stitches in the end and hide any twists. If I was making something I didn't plan to add a border to, this would not work nearly as well. Also, since this is going to be a couch afghan for my husband and I plus the cat and the dog to snuggle under, having a less than perfect beginning row doesn't bother me and no one else will mind either. Plus, it did loosen up the bottom row without my having to rip out a bunch of other rows.

My Ravelry page for this project is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, all comments are moderated and may take a day or two to appear. I try to reply to comments as soon as possible. Thanks for commenting and I hope you enjoy the blog!