Monday, July 27, 2015

Have You Tried Sashiko?

I finished my first sashiko project. It was a kit that was sold as a pillow cover, but I made a table mat instead. It took longer than I thought it would to complete, but I really enjoyed it. And, I really love the white against the navy background.

Sashiko is a Japanese form of embroidery that means "stab stitch." Most examples are white on navy and it incorporates many different geometric patterns. It uses a thick cotton thread that actually comes in many different colors. Next I want to try a white on red pattern.

The teapot in the picture is an Yixing teapot made from special clay in China. You only use it for one kind of tea: oolong, pu-erh, or a black tea. Each teapot is only used for a single kind of tea because the flavor of the tea is retained in the clay. Green or herbal teas are not recommended.

The more you use the teapot, the shinier it gets. Also, you are supposed to pour the dregs of the tea over the top of the teapot when you are finished drinking it as it helps bring out the shine. The teapot only holds enough for one small cup of tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, all comments are moderated and may take a day or two to appear. I try to reply to comments as soon as possible. Thanks for commenting and I hope you enjoy the blog!