Wednesday, July 29, 2015

15 Minutes of Creativity


I've been having trouble with my eyes recently and the eye doctor keeps telling me to "rest." Yesterday when I went, he asked if I had been working hard the last few days. I told him I had been embroidering. Specifically, I had been working on two different projects. One was stitching over 2 threads on linen and the other was on 32 count linen.

Even though I'd been working with good light and magnifying lenses clipped to my glasses, I could tell the stitching was straining my eyes. But, I wanted so much to do the projects. Yesterday I finished the small linen piece, but I worked in 15 minute segments and took breaks in between.

I didn't strain my eyes by just working for 15 minutes at a time. As an added bonus, I didn't make as many mistakes because I was seeing better and I was able to stitch faster. So, I may have to adopt a 15 minute only stitching rule and try to limit it to about an hour a day. At least when I'm working on small counts.

I also have a huge number of WIPs (Works in Progress) and I had the idea that if I kept 5 in my workbasket (plus my afghan in my afghan basket) and then worked on each for at least 15 minutes a day for a month, maybe I'll finish more projects. When I finish a project, I can add a new one. Also, I can add one project a week. At the end of the month, I cut the basket down to only 5 projects again. I'll try it for August and see how it goes.

Last year, I finally finished my February Lady Sweater by committing to working 15 minutes a day. Most days I worked more once I got started, of course. But, I think this might be a good way to work for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, all comments are moderated and may take a day or two to appear. I try to reply to comments as soon as possible. Thanks for commenting and I hope you enjoy the blog!